One Week in Social Media
Posted: July 11th 2018
Last week was a busy one in the world of social media! We've rounded up all the key points from the likes of Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Twitter.
Instagram Update Includes 'All Caught Up' Tool, Testing Option to Mute App Notifications
- The ‘All Caught Up’ tool displays a message when you’ve seen all the content posted from all the accounts you follow from the previous two days.
- Instagram has also introduced daily usage insights to show users to know how much time they’ve spent on the app.
- Both Instagram and Facebook are also testing out ‘do not disturb’ options.
Facebook Quietly Added Stories Archive Section
- This is Facebook’s answer to Instagram story highlights.
- It will allow stories to stay up for longer than 24 hours.
- It also means that stories can be reused.
800,000 Affected as Facebook Randomly Unblocks People
- The original bug that caused this problem comes from Facebook Messenger and was active between May 29th and June 5th.
- 83% of people affected by the bug had only one person they had blocked temporarily unblocked.
- The issue has been fixed according to Facebook, and all previously established blocks are back in place (though they do encourage users to check their blocked list just in case).
Instagram Adds a Q&A Feature to Stories
- The function to ask a question has recently been added to Instagram Stories and looks like a poll.
- All questions go into the story information sections where you can see who’s viewed your story.
Twitter Launches its Ads Transparency Centre
- The Ads Transparency Centre shows all promoted posts and adverts by each account when they are searched for.
- Twitter has also launched further political info and billing info on election candidate’s pages.
- LinkedIn has introduced a new profile translation tool, allowing you to view the account in a language of your choice.
- QR codes for each account have been added so that profiles can be found more quickly when face-to-face with someone.
- The new Pinterest update allows photos to be added to collections with a single click.
- It seems to be working - Pinterest’s activity has been increasing faster than Snapchat and Twitter.
Music Stickers Added to Instagram Stories
- Music stickers allowing a short burst of music to be played on a story have been added to Instagram, making use of Facebook's new music rights.
Instagram Stories Now Has 400million Daily Users
- Instagram is rapidly overtaking Snapchat, the original creators of the ‘story’.
Facebook Introduces Their Equivalent of Twitter’s Ads Transparency Centre
- This allows users to view all active ads and page info such as recent name changes, the date the Page was created, and more to come in the future.
Words: Archie Forbes (Work Experience)